Thursday, October 15, 2015

wot iz luv?

So a friend and I had an interesting topic today, and somehow we stumbled on the subject of love and got really balls deep into it.

So seriously, what is love? Every one of us has experienced a form of love to some degree, yet when we try to verbalize it, its hard to find the right words.

Is there more than one form of love? Or is it just one large 'entity' altogether? My friend asked me which would hurt you more? The death of your parents? Or your wife? Well, I've never actually experienced losing a loved one so close before so I cant really imagine that; which is really weird cos I think I have quite the vivid imagination :/

When I watched "The Imitation Game" recently with Lam, the protagonist was married to a really beautiful lady despite him being homosexual as he needed her around to fulfill his goals, when he finally revealed his sexuality to her, she said she has already suspected it, and still wants to stick around as she truly did love him. She even argued that their marriage, although unconventional, was one that was at least better than the majority of marriages out there. It was a union of two minds, and that was enough for her.

To me, I believed that the lady in "The Imitation Game" truly did love the protagonist, it just came in a different form. But why? Why would she love a man who is clearly not sexually attracted to her? (not that it really matters I think? But then this dude yknow, is into anything but vajayjays so yeah.)

But I digress, it is hard to both justify and quantify something as intangible as love, is it an emotion? An action? A decision? Or just something utterly in between?

When she asked me what love meant today, I did not really know how to answer her, but I did tell her that "Love is a responsibility.". But really, there's so much more to it.

Back when I was together with P, I told her almost everyday that I loved her, not fully able to define it any other way. But truthfully, I really believed it every single time when I uttered those words to her. And although till today I am able to tell myself that I have loved and lost before, it is still almost impossible to define love.

Is Love selfless? Is it about sacrifice? Does it have an expiry date? If so, is it really true love? Is Love a choice? A responsibility? How many forms does love come in? Is there really any difference between loving and liking someone apart from the degree of affection you provide to the subject?

Dictionary.com defines love as "a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person." I guess that's the best way to explain what love is after all huh? 

At the end of the day, I'd like to believe that love comes in many forms, love towards your parents, love from your friends, love from your significant other, love for your pets, and perhaps even occasionally, love you give or receive to strangers; this really brings me to another subject: Do we love for ourselves? Or do we love for others? Does that make sense? I'm sorry if it doesn't because it's like almost 2am and I'm probably not thinking straight.

It's weird right? I've always believed that we humans were inherently selfish yet the word "Love" itself has been ingrained into us as a selfless act. We humans are like living contradictions or something. I think I'm better off revising for my exams than to ponder about questions like this where I don't have the answers to anyway. :/

So it turns out, if you've been reading this to uncover the meaning of love, I'm sorry I've wasted your time. Maybe someday someone would be able to enlighten me on this subject, and I'll be sure to post the answer here. :) Until next time! :D


Anyway karaoke on Tuesday was great! Too bad we didn't have a full attendance as usual :/

No comments: